Friday, March 23, 2012

When Worship and Working Out Collide...

Recently, I have been driven to take better care of myself.  I have been keeping up with my caloric intake everyday and have been using our treadmill everyday, except Sundays. I have made sure that I am putting in at least 30 minutes every day on the treadmill.  To pass the time, I typically watch something on my phone. 

I have spent a lot of time making sure I am taking care of myself physically, but I was convicted this morning that I haven't been setting aside the same time for my spiritual well-being.  I know that my spiritual condition is much more important than my physical self, but I have had my priorities out of whack.

This morning, a very simple revelation occurred to me.  I took my phone out and turned on some Christian music on low volume.  I also brought out my divided notebook.  One section of the notebook is dedicated to prayer requests and praises, one section has sermon notes, and the final section has Bible study notes.  With the music playing quietly in the background, and my notebook open in front of me, I set my treadmill on a fast-paced walking speed.  I opened the notebook to the prayer request section and prayed out loud to the Lord over every request. When I glanced down at the treadmill display, 30 minutes had passed.  I couldn't believe it.  I am thankful God wired me capable of multi-tasking...well, I'm kind of equipped to multi-task.

After I prayed, I turned up the music and sped up the treadmill.  Here's a pointer for you if you decide to worship and work out simultaneously.  Do not close your eyes and lift your hands in praise while your treadmill is set on run!  I was getting so into the lyrics of a Mark Shultz song, that I was having a serious Pentacostal moment (which isn't too typical of a Southern Baptist).  I lifted my hands, looked up to heaven, and almost splatted on the garage floor!  It was pretty funny.  So, I redirected my worship...one hand on the treadmill to hold me steady, one hand lifted to the Lord in praise, and eyes open.  Maybe I'm not a great example of multi-tasking! Beware when worship and working out collide!

No comments:

Post a Comment