Sunday, July 21, 2013

Kiddos...

It is no secret that I love kiddos.  God wired me from birth to be around young ones.  I believe that's why He blessed me to be the oldest of 4 kids.  I believe that's why He prompted me to study what I did in college.  I believe that is why He blessed me with the job I have now.  I believe that is why He gave me the greatest gift of being a Mom.  And, I believe that is why kiddos like being around me...because He designed me for that purpose. 

My heart is completely broken for our children.  My heart hurts daily for Cecely and Titus and the pain they are having to endure.  Outside of our home, my heart is greatly burdened for children.  I wish we lived in that picturesque world Hollywood created with television shows like Leave it to Beaver where the kids were allowed to be kids.  I hate how the enemy attacks our children through media, crazy adults, and even other children.  I wish I could make a place where children could be safe, healthy, happy and never doubt that they are loved...I can't do that, but I am so thankful that we are promised a perfect place in Heaven one day.  I am overwhelmed with gratitude and joy that both of my children have made the decision to ask Jesus to live in their hearts; and, I have the peace in knowing one day we will share Heaven together.

But for now, here on this messed up Earth, our children are hurting.  Abuse, neglect, divorce, death of loved ones, inadequate living situations, health problems, fear, anxiety, doubt...and a host of other negatives are assaulting our young ones.  I feel completely helpless sometimes.  Oh, but there is One who sees these hurts and who knows our children better than we do. 

Have you ever read the accounts of Jesus around children in the Gospels?  I have always loved those stories.  In Matthew 19, there is a brief account where children were being brought to Jesus.  The disciples in all of their "grown-upness" (yeah, I just made that a word) did not want the children to bother Jesus, and they rebuked those who brought the children.  But, listen to watch Jesus said in verse 14, “Let the little children come to me. Don’t stop them, because the kingdom of heaven belongs to people who are like these children" (New Century Version).  Whoa, step back adults!  The kingdom of Heaven belongs to people who are like these children.  What does that mean?  Well, in my years of experience with children, my opinion is that Jesus was saying we need to be like children.  I love working with kids because, for the most part, they are HONEST.  They often say what they think when they think it.  The filters haven't kicked in quite yet.  Children are innocent.  They have not yet been corrupted by all the things this world can offer to distract them.  Children are precious...they are little treasures that God spent time to specifically design.  Children are full of faith and hope...they have not yet become hardened and cynical by life.  Children were so important to Jesus that He took a break from His teachings to admonish adults for not being like children.  We can all take a lesson from that.

While I continue to grieve over the pain of all the amazing children in my world, I am trying to hold on to the fact that God cares for them more than I ever could.  I am trying to recapture some of my childlike qualities.  And, while I cannot fix the problems facing the children in my world, I can make sure that when they are with me, they are allowed and encouraged to be children, not little grown-ups.   

No comments:

Post a Comment