Thursday, August 8, 2013

Given Up?

Have you ever given up?  On something or someone?  Has someone ever given up on you?  We live in a world that makes it very easy to call it quits.  Our culture has taught us the art of justifying our decisions, whether they are right or wrong.  I would like to think that I'm not a quitter, but that would be a straight up lie.  I have given up on countless diets (yes, I know its' not about a diet, it's about a lifestyle), I'm just sayin' I have quit several organized diet plans.  Shockingly, along with that, I have given up on work out regimes (and, again, I know it's about a lifestyle choice).  Sadly, there have been relationships that I have given up on.  Some of them, I felt God was prompting me to move away from because they were detrimental to my health.  Others, I gave up on because I would get annoyed, burned out, or wary.  Thankfully, I have been able to take steps (with great prompting from the Lord) to restore the relationships that mattered that suffered because of my human shortcomings.

There have been people who gave up on me, too.  People who I trusted with my whole heart, who were people I should have been able to count on, people who should have stood the test of time felt it was easier to give up on me and our relationships.  When people hurt us, scars are left.  But, you know what, just like when your kiddos fall and scrape their knee, those scars fade.  Reminders of pain stay with us forever, but they shape us into who we are and give us stories to tell that can reach out to others.

Even though pain is inevitable and people are guaranteed to hurt one another, there is One who won't hurt us.  The following is a song that I absolutely love.  I've provided a link to the You Tube video and the lyrics so you can read and sing along.  Hit play, turn it up, and worship wherever you are.  Proclaim the promises that come straight from God's Word and have been turned into an awesome song! 

(On a side note: my kiddos love this song, too.  It makes my heart so happy to hear them sing these words that unfortunately, they understand all to well.  While some people may run out...God won't!)

One Thing Remains Video

"One Thing Remains"
     Jesus Culture

Higher than the mountains that I face
Stronger than the power of the grave
Constant through the trial and the change
One thing… Remains [repeat]

[Chorus:]
Your love never fails, never gives up
Never runs out on me [3x]

On and on and on and on it goes
It overwhelms and satisfies my soul
And I never, ever, have to be afraid
One thing remains

[Bridge:]
In death, In life, I’m confident and
covered by the power of Your great love
My debt is paid, there’s nothing that can
separate my heart from Your great love...

No comments:

Post a Comment