Saturday, October 20, 2018

Meeting Ted, Part Three

***This is the continuation of my blog post on getting to meet Ted, my VIPKID student from Beijing.  I have permission from his mother, Danielle, to share this story and pictures from our trip.***

As our amazing adventure came to an end, our newest family members (Danielle and I decided that we are going to be family from now on) had chosen an incredible restaurant for us in Orlando.  Brian and I took our first Uber ride with Danielle and Ted to Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ.  When we arrived, we were told there would be an hour wait.  We assured Danielle that was fine with us.  We are easily amused.  Typically, we wouldn't wait an hour for a table, but we wanted to make sure they knew we would wait since they had a specific treat in mind for us.  Looking back, I am so thankful for that hour wait time, as that was when Ted and I had the most fun.  While Danielle monitored the host station for an available table, Ted and I sat together on a bench and talked and played.  Brian was an angel and took pictures for me.  Ted was excited to show me some apps on his phone that allowed him to make funny pictures with filters.  Ted "sneakily" took a picture or two of Brian and several of me...laughing hysterically the entire time.   
      



Brian and I had never been to a Japanese BBQ before.  It was incredible!  The menu was gigantic.  We told Danielle and Ted that they were in charge of ordering; we were simply excited to be invited.  Danielle and Ted looked over the menu and gave the waiter an earful.  In the middle of the table was a small grill.  There were no plates--just metal chopsticks.  When we have Asian food at home, I always try with the little kid chopsticks but end up with a fork.  Brian, Ted and Danielle all tried to show me the proper way to use them, and Ted finally gave me a soup spoon to use.  I'm so glad I could provide comic relief at our elegant dinner!  After the grill warmed up, plates and plates of meat were brought out to us, and Danielle prepared the meat and served each of us.  We had so many delectable dishes--filet mignon, kobe beef, beef tongue, skirt steak, pork sausage, some kind of super-fancy tuna, and several other amazing meats I can't remember the name of.  Oh, and there were some vegetables.  For dessert, Danielle ordered a very special dessert called Lady M.  It was delicate and scrumptious!  I teach English, not math, but I know a lot of money was spent on us for that meal.  Danielle told me during one of our conversations that teachers hold a place of high honor in China.  This dinner was to show me how she respects me and how Ted cares for me.  Brian and I are the kind of people who always pay our part, and we don't do well with people doing things for us.  But, understanding the importance of this meal being a gift to us from Ted made my pride subside.  I truly felt special and valued.

Following our remarkable meal, we loaded back into another Uber.  Brian sat up front with our very kind driver, Danielle sat in between Ted and myself in the back.  Ted began to quietly cry.  I was trying to hold in my sobs, but my eyes gave me away.  Danielle told me not to cry, that now we are family, and we will see each other again one day.  I expressed to her my gratitude for being invited to join them in Florida, for the sweet gifts and for the delicious meal.  I told her how amazing I think Ted is and what a great job she is doing raising him.  I just kept telling her I was so thankful for the opportunity and the memories we made.  Ted said something in barely a whisper to Danielle which she told me in a hushed voice..."Ted says Amber is like sunshine in my heart".  After that, how could I not cry?  Back at our hotel, I hugged Danielle tight and we promised to stay in touch (which we do, thanks to WeChat!).  I went around to Ted's side of the car and wrapped him in my arms.  We held on for a few minutes and cried.  I looked him in his eyes and told him how much I loved him and how happy I am to know him.  Brian lovingly took me into our hotel.  Danielle messaged me later to tell me Ted had cried all the way to their hotel and was sleeping with his American football again.

I have so many more moments that come to mind when I think about this magical adventure.  I had so many profound conversations with Danielle.  I had countless laughs and high-fives with Ted.  I had a fantastic time with my husband, my hero, my best friend.  I am so thankful to my parents, mother-in-law, and grandmother for helping Brian and I make this trip happen.  I am grateful for my amazing children for being understanding and encouraging of us making a trip to Disney World without them.  I am beyond grateful for Danielle for inviting me to come to Disney and to get to have time with her son.  I am thankful for VIPKID for giving me a fantastic job that has widened my world view and has introduced me to phenomenal people on the other side of the world.  Most of all, I am so grateful that God orchestrated every detail and allowed this adventure to happen.  I am so blessed!

Message from Danielle at the end of our trip...precious.


Click here to read Meeting Ted, Part One

Click here to read Meeting Ted, Part Two


No comments:

Post a Comment